ebi and ebiba by eguriase s. m okaka

GURIA CONCEPT & BOOKS PRESENTs EBI AND EBIBA (AN AFRICAN STORY) BY EGURIASE S.M. OKAKA Copyright © Eguriase S. M. Okaka All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or or any other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses, permitted by the copyright law. Author’s Note When I started this piece I thought I was writing a fictional piece but at the end of the story it became a non-fictional piece. That is surprising to me! This event took place in African country not too far Nigeria. Few days after I had concluded my story the same event I wrote about took place in an African village. That makes me conclude that my story is universal that means that, and that it can be related with anywhere in the world. No wonder, it is stated that any literary piece should be about the beliefs, religion, culture or history of a people and their activities. Let’s see Ebi and Ebiba a story from an African village as it is told by Guriaokasm. At the end of each Chapter there is a list of questionnaires for my readers to answer that would test whether they understood what they had read. By Eguriase S. M. Okaka (Author) Tel: 08026711232 Table of Content Copyright Notice Author’s Note Table of Content Chapter One Introduction Chapter Two Elder’s Meeting Chapter Three The King’s Palace Chapter Four Ebi and Ebiba Chapter Five The Town Crier’s message Chapter Six The Consequence of Wickedness Chapter Seven Rejoicing in the Land Chapter Eight A Feast in the Land Chapter Nine The Shrine Chapter Ten Abundance in the Land CHAPTER ONE
Introduction In the kingdom of Ede, darkness gave way to light, as brightness began to set in. The cocks began to observe their usual early morning rituals. This informs the Farmers of the dawn of another farming day. Otolo, one of the farmers and also a courageous elder in the land; wakes up and comes out of his hot yawning and stretching out both arms and legs keeping the body fully awake and ready for the day’s activities. He puck-off a bitter leaf stem from a nearby bush to brush his tooth and keep his mouth clean for that was what we were used to before the Whiteman came to Africa with the introduction of paste and tooth brushes. This he was still doing when his wife shouted from the backyard, Ya! Ya! Ya! My goats are all dead o! She then runs to her husband in the front of the hot. What has happened again? Yesterday, my neighbor loose twelve cocks to the drought and today it is my turn to cry. Ume my wife, it is okay. It is ordinary goats and not humans. My husband you called seven pregnant she-goats ordinary. Do you know how many kids each of them will produce? No! She said: if one produces five kids then times that by seven and you would know the reason why I am crying. I’m sorry Ume, my wife. That should not bring quarrel this morning besides, it is a bad omen if you start the day with such. (She reluctantly puts up her basket on her head and they both makes for the farm, All along Ume remain quiet and sorrowful). I said I’m sorry my wife. (He starts singing her praise). The beauty of my life, the woman that makes me breathes! The only joy I see. Are you really sure of that? I swear by the gods! I hear you my husband but next time don’t trivialized serious issues as this again. I will never try it again. (He shouts it loud for the bushes to hear). I will never try that again! Getting to the farm, Otolo shouted: gods of my forefathers what is going on? Look at my crops they have all burnt by the dew. That is impossible! Only the sun and the dry season heat can do something like this not the dew. Crops that we left yesterday evening very healthy and blossoming only to come this morning to see the opposite; you see, I can’t understand how the dew can burn up crops when it is expected to give it life. (He puts in, still looking surprisingly at the burnt crops). My husband, I think this is not ordinary. Let us go to the diviner. (As she is still speaking Okoma runs in from his farm in terror). The eyes have seen enough, the ears have heard enough and the cat is fast becoming a lion in our very eyes. Okoma, see my crops they are all burnt by the dew. Imagine, how can the dew burn crops? No! My friend, I thought as much but now we are seeing the wonders of our times. This is no longer ordinary. Otolo said confusingly. My farm is not left out in this plaque we are all in this together. It is not ordinary my wife said before you came in with the sad ordeal. Even the heavens have refused to smile on our land. I’m counting twenty-four moons now since we last had the rains. Exactly Otolo, since then our crops have been surviving on the kindness of the dew but now the dew is turning back on us. Do you think this is ordinary? Fellow Okoma! No, my friend answered Okoma. Something is definitely wrong somewhere I can feel it but I can’t fathom what it is. Then what do you think we should do in this circumstance? Let’s seek for solutions immediately. As our people always say “the gods are wiser than us so let us consult the wisest.” That is true! You know that we can’t do that without the consent of the other elders in council. Why, said Okoma? Do not tell me that you have forgotten so soon that we cannot consult the diviner. Why? He asked again. Okoma! You are always asking why because you are ignorant of our customs and traditions yet as an elder in your father’s land. Well, I will not blame you too much because you spent the greater part of your life in your mother’s village claiming that they have more fertile lands than ours. Elder Otolo! You just insulted me indirectly. I’m sorry, please Okoma do not take it like that. I only spoke the truth. By giving me a polite insult before your wife and the bushes around, he puts in. I am sorry once again. You see, Okoma this issue is not a personal one it concerns Ede kingdom and it is only the King who can legislate or give orders on such matters not his subjects. Oh yes! I can now remember. That is what you should have reminded me of before you start crucifying me like that. I am sorry again. But my husband, you’ve said more than one sorry only this morning I wonder how many more you will say before the sun goes to bed. I hope all is well my husband. I’m still saying sorry Okoma. Accepted, Otolo my friend too many strange things are just happening in this village. What again? Takpa is no longer with us. The palm wine tapper is no longer with us. What! She yells. What happened said Otolo? He died of hunger. Rumors say he has not eaten for the past three days so he went to tapped some wine and fell from the palm wine tree as a result of the hunger in his stomach. What a sad way to die, said Otolo. His only son went to hunt for games in the forest and did not return home again. So nobody will ever remember that lineage again. Don’t conclude yet that boy might resurface one day. Let’s hope so. What are we still doing here? Let’s go home and hope for the best after all there is still life in us. When there is life there is hope said Otolo. I strongly believed that this too shall soon pass away. Questions from Chapter 1 • What informs the farmers of the dawn of the day? • What did Otolo use as a cleaning object? • ‘gods of our land what is happening to us’. What literary device is used in the above statement? • What matter can only the king legislate on? • What did Otolo said to calm Okoma’s anger? • Who is Takpa in the story and what report was made of him? • Identify the euphemism in this story and who is the statement referring to? • Quote a statement of hope in the story. CHAPTER TWO
Elder’s Meeting In the evening that same day the elders of the land gathered at the senior elder’s house, known as Elder Otulu. He is a very courageous middle age hunter and farmer like the others. He is very gentle and caring. He cares for people in their village and beyond that is why they often called him the man of the people. Some say he should have been the king because of his benevolence. The gods knows the best he always says: “the king is the king and Otulu is Otulu”, he who made us made us so. They sits on a tree throng carved in a stool like shape complaining, whispering, and murmuring about the drought which has become a big problem plaguing the villagers. The door leading to his hot suddenly opens as elder Otulu enters amidst greetings. I know where the shoe pinches, so your worries are mine too said Otulu as he takes a sit. I went to my farm as well and found the same surprise like you. Mine was worse and greater than what anyone in this village saw, as you all know already. You know that I am the greatest hunter this kingdom has ever produced since inception. I got to the forest to hunt for animals which hitherto were in abundance but waited all night without coming home with an ant. This happened for so many days and changes into weeks and worst still it went into months now, at first I thought it was nothing but I later decided that it is an extraordinary force plaguing us. Since then I have been eating without meats in my soup that is a big irony that if anybody hears it their eyes will twinkle but it has become a usual practice for me and my family since the drought started. Again, we could have celebrated the hunter’s festival last weekend but for the first time in the history of Ede kingdom nobody can give any explanation as to why we did not celebrated. You see my fellow kinsmen all the animals have died or ran away to the nearby villages to take refuge there and seek solace in their bushes. Then why should the gods keep us in the dark for so long now, said OKolo? We mortals cannot know the ways of the gods for their way are farther than ours. We do not know their will nor can we question them like the clay cannot dictate to the porter what to make of it. So we are in the hands of the gods. I spoke to the king at noon he demanded that we all gather at his palace before the sun goes to bed tomorrow. I’m sorry my fellow elders I would have brought palm wine to fill the hollowness of our meeting but for the sad news which filtered in this morning that made me to forgot buying from other sources. Rest is yours Takpa! May your soul find peace with your fathers? (They all echoes), Ise! Okoma, I am worried elder Otulu. About what, asked Otulu? Too many things are just happening at the same time. Not good things but evil things. I feel we have offended the gods in one way or the other that is what is responsible for their silence. I also feel like running away to my mother’s village until this is over. Who made this coward an elder in the first place, Otolo rising in anger? Please, sit down elder Otolo, don’t call anger into an already tensed situation. I’m sorry, elder Otulu said Otolo. A man does not run away from his father’s land because the land is going through trying times. If you run away now when the village is in trouble when will you come back? Is it after the troubles? You see, Real men faced the situations sparely until they are victorious. Real men face tough times, it is always said by our people that “When the going gets tough the tough gets going”. Be strong elder Okoma, be strong! My fellow elders, if we faint now then what do we expect from our wives and children? Let us all be strong for each other. Remember, tomorrow, we shall gather at the King’s palace before the sun goes to sleep. May the day break! Ise! (He gets up and enters his hot. As each of the elders start exchanging handshakes). Questions from Chapter 2 1. Which hot were they gathered? 2. Who are they? 3. What is going on in the land? 4. “Don’t call anger into an already tensed situation” what literary device is used there? 5. List four problems of Elder Otulu as enumerated by him in the chapter. 6. I identify three encouraging words in the chapter? CHAPTER THREE
The King’s Palace In the king’s palace the next day all the elders were gathered. His palace is well decorated with traditional attires and animal’s skin showing the beauty and rich cultural heritage of the Ede people. The king is blessed with a beautiful wife whom some of the villagers compared as the goddess of beautiful dwelling among them. Her beauty is exceptional and cannot be compared with anything or any woman in this world but the goddess of beauty herself. Some say she is a daughter of the goddess why others say she is a gift given to the king by the goddess. Whichever way they put it they may not be far from the truth at least her beauty is beyond comparison. They are blessed with children after her kind. The elders in their usual way were whispering and talking in low tunes to themselves about the impending doom and fate of the people. If immediate measures are not taken concerning the drought it would be disastrous to us said one of the elders. What we are passing through now is just a tip of the ice berg compare to what is to come, said Okolo. It has become a plague. Have you not read it in the ‘Whiteman’s book’ how God sent twelve plagues to trouble the people of Egypt by the hand of Moses? This is the plague of Ede kingdom. Don’t blaspheme the gods, shouted, Otulu! “The patience of the lion is never cowardice, so too are the silence of the gods never you take them as cowards”. Interpreter of our traditions speak on let us hear you, Okoma puts in angrily. Silence, shouted elder Otulu! The lion of Ede kingdom emerges majestically. (Then all rise and bow in salutation). Long live the king! Long live Ede kingdom! Great is our king! (He raises his staff of office as a mark of response and acceptance of their greetings and make straight for the throne accompany by two palace guards). Sit down my elders said the King. The throne sent for us that is why we are here, your highest, puts in Otulu the chief elder. Your majesty, I am troubled. I fear the worst is going to happen. (Fearful Okoma hurriedly puts in) Our people are dying my king. Lives stocks are dying too, Pointed Okolo. There is hunger in the land as a result of the drought, yes, it is telling on everyone so badly, said another elder. We are confused O, King, by the situation around us. Nothing seems to have been done about it. The drought has robbed us like a thief in the night. When it all started we thought it was ordinary, but what was thought ordinary is now extraordinary. It is like the tales of a monkey becoming a human being overnight. For eight moons the heavens had refused to drop its showers. Crops are dying; live stocks are dying in great number. We the farmers and hunters of this kingdom have become jobless. The hunter’s festival did not hold for the first time because there was no animal to celebrate and to demonstrate with showing our prowess as hunters. The animals have all ran away from our bushes to our neighboring bushes as a result of the drought and hunger it has caused. At least, they need to survive like us. My king, I know of some people planning to run away from their father’s land soon if care is not taken. My king, your storehouse is without food that shows that you are suffering the same fate with us. Our situation is not ordinary, the gods must say something. The gods must say something. They can’t keep us in the dark repeated the elders. I feel your pains my people. The gods must say something now or we all die from this plague. O, king, live forever! Shouted the elders in unison We shall not waste any more time. I shall send for the DIVINER at once, said the king. (He calls). Otulu! Go to the mouth piece of Ede tell him the Sun wants him immediately. It is done my king. (Exits Otulu. In the Diviner’s shrine, he meets him consulting with the gods speaking in some inaudible languages to them as Otulu was about to speak). Silence Otulu! The Brightness of Ede kingdom wants me. The gods have already told me said the Diviner. Yes, my diviner. (Otulu stammers in amazement). Go now I shall be with him shortly. (He walks away while the Diviner starts putting some concoction into his bag and follow behind. Getting to the King’s palace, he meets the elders waiting anxiously and expectantly to hear what the gods would say next of their predicament. Otulu had just entered when he made his appearance few seconds before Otulu would vomit any word from his mouth). The Brightness of Ede kingdom, the gods greet you! (Looking at the right and left hand sides angrily and cursed). “May Epilepsy be bedmate of those who wish to spoil your reign? (Elders echoes) Ise! (He prays) “May your bullock last long on the throne of your forefathers.” you shall live long my king. (They all echoes) Ise! Your reign shall be sweet and peaceful. Ise! What are the gods saying asked the king? They are still silent, said the Diviner. Then make them speak, shouted the king in anger. My subjects are dying, live stocks are perishing, and farmers have become jobless men and women. The drought is not sparing us at all. There is hunger in the land. Ohooo! They must say something or we all perish sooner or later. (He dances forward and backward before taking his position on the floor). My king, the gods have a permanent solution to every problem and ours is never hopeless to say the least. (He starts divining). Talk to them for they must hear us now less we perish! “Makuka, Mahika, Makuka”! It was you who calm the storm that rages. “Makuka, Mahika, Makuka”! Speak now for thy servant is listening. (And peers into it closely and shake his head surprisingly and speaks). Abomination! There is an abomination in the land. (He looks closely into the divination and shakes his head again to the amazement of all present). The brightness of Ede, the land has been polluted with an innocent blood. I said it before that our situation is not ordinary. Didn’t I? Whispers Okoma. Yes, you did. At last, we are getting to know where our problems coming from. Who are the culprits my diviner? Said the king, (He divines again and gives a sign of shock). She is silent my king. (There is a murmuring among the elders). Silent! Shouted the king Go immediately for appeasements tell her to reveal the killers or we all die for the sin we know nothing about. I shall send all the necessary items you need for the sacrifices. I shall go my king but before the sun goes to bed gather all the people here that is a demand from the gods. You may now go my diviner said the king. (Exit the diviner). Call me the Town crier! Questions from Chapter 3 1. What is being refers to as the Whiteman’s book? 2. Who is being refers to as the ‘Throne’ and what does the throne stand for. 3. List four consequences of the drought on the people of Ede. 4. What are they finding solution to? CHAPTER FOUR
Ebi and Ebiba The sun is about to go to bed in Ede Kingdom but the people are so confused, not knowing what tomorrow might bring to them because today hasn’t be palatable or better for them. Some were seated in their verandas with folded-arms and legs hitting the ground sorrowfully. Others are having it real rough like Ebi and Ebiba. The beautiful terrain of the village environment is no longer there as some of the trees has withered away even at odd times when the village is supposed to be having rainfalls at that time and period. It is July of all months, when we would have been experiencing heavy rainfalls but we are experiencing the opposite. The trees are withering away because the rains refused to fall down. What is going on in Ede are questions no one have answers to expect the gods of the land, said one of the villagers. Ebiba my wife, it is old enough for the rains to fall yet no rain when it is due for it. It is true, my husband, the rains have refused us its blessings for the past eight moons now. Even when the clouds gathered we wait joyfully expecting the rain to fall but sadly enough our hope and happiness turns to bitterness as the rain goes away or moved to the nearby village to fall without a drop touching ours. Yes, we can only watch helplessly as the thick clouds of rains moved to the nearby village to bless them. Our crops are all dying away for want of water and dew. What is happening to us can only be explained by the gods. My mother’s village is currently celebrating the “New Yam” festival and abundance of rainfalls abounds in the land. Everyone is smiling with each other because of the plenty harvest they are experiencing. Others are smiling why we are frowning. Others are having it good why we are telling a sad tale. Why am I born into this god forsaken village? It is an accursed village! Ebiba my wife, we are leaving this village tonight. To where, my husband? Ebi! To your mother’s, he said. Let’s leave this god forsaken land before we die of hunger and starvation. I thought as much my husband. When I talked with my elder brother two markets ago he said we would come and stay till the calamity is over. He added that our situation is not ordinary. That problem like this can only be handled by the gods. That is the truth said Ebi. It means that tonight has already been settled by destiny. Start preparing some few items for the journey. Gradually, the sun withdrew its brightness and darkness took over the day. Soon it was nightfall when they hope to carry out their plans. Ebi and Ebiba took their belongings and tip-toe into the bush making their way through the bush-path. Getting close to the boundary between their village and the nearby village called Edebi, they met a tall strange white being carrying a long whip in his hands warning them to go back to the village. ….Go back! You can’t escape from this calamity said the Tall-strange-white-Being. He who sows a seed should wait for harvest to come and whatsoever it brings shall he take so wait for your harvest. You can’t run away. (Shouts) Go back! (He whips Ebi and Ebiba who immediately makes a U-turn and runs back to the village). For three nights, Ebi and Ebiba tried different ways of escape but they kept on meeting the Tall-Strange-White-Being in any path they took. So they decided to stay back in the village and suffer the ordeal with the others. Questions from Chapter 4 1. List out four problems going on in the village. 2. Who are about to run away from the village and what is pursuing them? 3. “Gradually, the sun withdrew its brightness and darkness took over the day.” What literary device is used that? 4. Where did they meet the Tall-Strange-Being? CHAPTER FIVE
The Town Crier’s Message The villagers still passing through tough times, no one is happy again since the drought started eight moons ago life has been unfair to them. Well, life goes on said one of the villagers. Perhaps, we should wait for our dying day said another. I did not mean so my friends. Let’s be hopeful, he added again. See! The trees are now wearing a sad look for the drought did not spear any growing thing at all. What have we done to deserve this torment? Even the King’s household is passing this trauma too it is now clear that the gods are no respecter of persons. In spite, of the sad ordeal some of the villagers still engaged themselves in their local game called ‘ayo’ since nothing to do in the farms again. Soon we shall all die of hunger as a result of this plaque. Where are you gods of our forefathers? It is mercy we need not this curse. Ebi and Ebiba are seen looking helplessly from a corner of their hot. From afar they hear the Town-Crier’s gong and voice chatting. Listen! It seems the King wants us in his palace said one of the villagers. That is true I can hear the echoes of the Town-Crier said another. But why should the King want us at this time or has the gods provided a way out of this afflictions. I don’t know let’s get them first. The Town-Crier drew near and near and become more audible. Town-Crier: My good people of Ede kingdom, the brightness of Ede, the greatest among men wants you all to gather in his palace before the sun goes to bed. The old and the young, male and female, failure to come means rebellion and that shall be punish with regrets. (He beats the gong again as his message fades with the distance. Some of the villagers cluster around as they were wondering why the king is calling them at this crucial time). Villager 1: There is a solution to our afflictions; the king does not give summons anyhow. Villager 2: That’s true. Villager 3: I think so too. (They start moving away to their huts to prepare for the king’s summons. Ebi and Ebiba got ready as well). Villager 1: Let us go in time so that we can stay in a good place said a fellow villager. Ebi and Ebiba: We have heard you said, Ebi and Ebiba in unison. Questions from Chapter 5 1. ‘Since nothing to do in the farm again’, what does this statement implies? 2. Why did some of the villagers still involve themselves in playing ‘ayo’? 3. What message did the Town-Crier carries? CHAPTER SIX
The Consequence of Wickedness That same day in the king’s palace gathered all the villagers in their number counting from each clan which made up Ede kingdom were all present. Many were still talking in whispers to one another wandering what the throne has to say this time around. The king is sitting in his throne majestically while his elders were just gesticulating to each other waiting for the next actions and possible solution to their predicaments. The queen is also sitting in a corner beautifully endowed by the gods of elegance. She is not speaking but her presence and beauty commands attention and respect to her and his majesty. For some say she is a daughter of the goddess of fertility that is why her beauty has no comparison with anyone in Ede and beyond. After two sons and two daughters are beauty still glows like the light of the day; she still looks younger and fairer than all the maidens in the land. No man can have such woman and seeks another outside that is one fact that none can disputes. I thank you all for coming. We shall wait patiently for the Diviner who is on his way here. (As he is yet speaking the Diviner enters). Greetings from the gods your majesty! (He turns to the crowd looking straightly and wildly at the people. The Diviner then throws a white dove upward which flew away and some few minutes later landed on the head of Ebi. The Diviner walk to him and pears straight into his eyes and mumble some strange chants before speaking). The gods are wiser than men! The gods says they are two culprits. (Villagers shouted) Ha-ya! (He throws the dove again and it landed on Ebiba’s head, now the people in their amazement shouted more loudly this time). Ha-ya! Husband and wife! This is too much for the eyes said one of the villagers. Husband and wife! What have they done again? Perhaps they are the cause of our sad days. Let’s wait and see what the gods have to reveal to us. Look at the king he is just watching the show without saying a word. Yes, he knows the tradition that this work belongs to the gods and their mouth piece. Your majesty, the gods have just revealed the culprit said the diviner. It is foolishness to hid secrets from the gods because all secrets are known to them. What we mortals do in secrets is open before the gods that is why judgment belongs to them. Now Ebi and Ebiba confess what you did in the dark when you think that men were not seeing you. (They both fall on their knees crying bitterly). We buried a twelve year old boy alive the son of the late palm-wine tapper. Abomination shouted elder Otulu loudly!. Why, asked, the Diviner. We used him for money rituals. A witch doctor from the nearby village asks us to perform the ritual with a human blood that money will be flowing like a river and bountiful harvest will follow suit. The next day as we were in the farm weeding we saw Iketu hunting for games we immediately decided to use this innocent boy for the ritual. We got hold of him and buried him alive though he was pleading and crying for help, we were so blinded by the forces of evil. Since that day, our lives have not been the same again. We have been going from one torment to another. The money we were hoping for never came. If you notice very well the drought started with our farms before spreading to other farms in the kingdom. That is true shouted Okoma! My farm is close to theirs. No wonder! One of the villagers said. When we went back to the witch doctor to complain of our sad troubles we were told that he had joined his ancestors three days before we came. So we came back home sadly. The money we were looking for ended up in futility and regret. Regret because we took the life of an innocent child. When the drought took over the kingdom we knew that it was because of our misdeed and devilish acts. Sadness and sorrows became our close associates. We barely sleep at nights. We always see the village masquerade chasing us in our dreams, that is, if we manage to sleep at all. Money is indeed the root of all evils. Is that all, shouted the king angrily? No your majesty, in fear. We knew that the drought was the consequences of our wickedness, so we decided to run away from the village but each time we try to we always meet a Strange-White-being carrying a long whip whipping us to go back to the village and suffer what we had caused. What are the gods saying? My patience runs thin said the king. It is death my king. Since, they took the precious life of an innocent child away because of wealth and greed for that reason their punishments are very grievous. (He falls into a trance mumbling some inaudible words to the gods). Those who killed by the sword shall be killed by that same sword, no mercy! Since they have defiled the land the goddess of fertility wishes that they should be sacrificed on the very spot where they buried the lad alive. Only then will the plaque be taken away from the kingdom and everything shall return to normal again. ‘She’ said failure to do as she demands shall result to more years of drought, hunger and death my king. My divine, the goddess has spoken I have no objections to her will. So do exactly as the goddess desires, my diviner. No, no we can’t die for the sins of another yelled the villagers. “He who invites the rains should get ready for the thunder storm that will follow”. Ebi and Ebiba if you could do this when you knew the customs and traditions of our land that nobody should kill a fellow Ede man or woman, boy or girl even children or adult, for any reason whatsoever, you still did when you knew, claiming it was the devil. No wonder, that devil only exist in people like you. You know before now that the verdict of the goddess will never be palatable and the reward of wickedness is always a sad one. So Ebi and Ebiba lead the way the goddess has decreed your death nothing shall reversed that. (They both burst out crying). Stop crying, your death had been decreed since that day, when you decided to commit the atrocity. Guards! Help the diviner to achieve the task shouted the king. This is a lesson for those contemplating evil in their hearts. Move Ebi! Move Ebiba! (The king’s guard orders them forcefully). Getting to farm Ebi pointed the exact spot of the boy’s grave. Sadly, the diviner chop-off the head of Ebi follow by that of Ebiba and pour their blood on the grave as a mark of appeasement as directed by the goddess of fertility. Some of the villagers burst out crying for them but justices have taken its cause. “He who kills by the sword will die by the sword”. Every crime shall be punished in one way or the other added elder Otulu. Questions from chapter 6 1. In a few words, list what the people say about the queen? 2. What role did the diviner played here? 3. What did Ebi and Ebiba do? 4. What was the consequence of their actions? 5. What did they make the people to suffer? CHAPTER SEVEN
Rejoicing in the Land Immediately, after the death of Ebi and Ebiba and the appeasement of the goddess, the lands witness a sudden downpour which brought back the lives of all the dying vegetation. Trees bounced back to life, livestock have more green leaves now. Once again, we can see smiles in the faces of all the people but the memory of Ebi and Ebiba is still a tale to refer to. Even the unfertile land became fertile as green grasses took over the footpath. Thanks to the goddess of fertility as the farms resumed their farming again. The villagers were all happy with themselves but then have more work to do in the farms. No one seems to be complaining anymore except for the over grown weeds in their farms. That is expected because we are now experiencing heavy rain fall almost on a daily basis. If things continue like this it means great harvest for us by the end of the farming season. If things also continues like this people will live longer than the “Biblical Methuselah” said one of the villagers. That is true we all need long life and that is only possible when we have plenty of food to eat and water to drink. There is abundance in sight.
I think the Whiteman’s doctrine has started to get hold on you. And what is the difference between our customs and traditions and the Whiteman’s teachings? Both says ‘thou shall not kill’, correct, there is no difference at all. Let’s thank the gods for saving us from the calamity which had plagued us two years ago. Farm work is now getting sweeter and sweeter, this morning when I got to my farm I was surprised to see those withered crops bouncing back to life again and smiles jumped to my face immediately. My crops were not only doing well but well fed by the soil and dew. I got similar report from all my fellow farmers in the land. I thank the gods for their timely interventions. One of the elders passed-by and they greeted him. How are you doing today? I am fine my elder. I can see that for myself my follow kinsmen. This was the kind of response we never heard from anyone when the drought was in the land but today that it has seized. Elder Okoma is it true that the king is calling for a thanksgiving feast tomorrow? Yes, he answered. Each one tells the other. The king is making a thanksgiving feast to thank the goddess for her mercies and benevolence. My fellow elder told me that the silence of the gods should never be taken for cowardice. Now I believed it. It is very correct the gods are indeed wiser than we are. Questions from Chapter 7 1. Quote a line from the passage which denotes smiles in the faces of the farmers. 2. What word shows comparison in the passage? 3. Ebi and Ebiba are the cause of the drought, discuss. 4. Why do you think that the king is calling for a feast now? CHAPTER EIGHT
A Feast in the Land Nobody is sorrowful anymore as happiness is now the hallmark of Ede kingdom. The elders and all the villagers put on their best clothes in readiness for the feast. It is a day of happy moods and dances as we can hear music coming from the village square the venue for the feast. The village square is filled to capacity with people within and without the kingdom. Some came from the neighboring villages and clans to celebrate with us why others came from afar off. Kings who believed in upholding the customs and traditions of their forefathers were all gathered in the arena to rejoice with the king of Ede and his people. Meanwhile, masquerades are performing in the arena and in another corner wrestlers are logging it out with their fellow wrestlers in an entertainment match amidst sounds of flutes and percussions instruments. Maidens were dancing round the king jubilantly while the people watch the show of display of talent. I was thinking that the plague of drought took these talents from our people said Okoma. Drought or hunger cannot take away a man’s talent in fact, it is when you are hungry that is when you know how talented you are. The white man says: “Necessity is the mother of invention”. That is true said Okoma. When I told you that the gods are wiser than us you didn’t believe me because you were dying of hunger and fear. That is another fact elder Otolo! May the gods forgive me and my little thoughts? Now I know very well that the gods are indeed wiser than we mortals. Their ways are beyond our comprehension said Okoma. As he is still speaking elder Otulu the chief elder rise to make some orations. My fellow people of Ede kingdom, the brightness of Ede, the sun that shines in Ede, the custodian of our customs and traditions, king Jadia the great, will now speak to his people. (They all echoes jubilantly waiting for the king to speak). We all know why we are here! Yes our king! (The people echoes) Long live king Jadia of Ede kingdom! (He raises his staff of office as a mark of appreciation). We thank you all for your patience and courage in the troubled times. When it all started we thought it would last forever. But thanks to the gods and the diviner who made series of propitiations for us. Indeed the gods were silent for some time but they spoke in the appropriate time. At first it was difficult to believe because we felt that they are taking too long to reveal what was wrong in the land, because from inception I knew that the predicament was not ordinary just as the elders and I are still pondering over the issue my diviner came up with a solution from the gods. Just to cut a very long story short, those who polluted the land with an innocent blood that caused the plague on us were revealed. They were punished appropriately as recommended by the goddess. Today, we are happy that the gods chasten us and drew us back to herself; thus making us to remember our customs and traditions once again. The gods are wiser indeed wiser than us! Indeed, they are wiser than we are! (They all echo in agreement). I can’t end my speech without thanking my fellow kings who came from far and near to rejoice with us. May the gods bless you all and their kingdoms! Ise! (They all echo). We shall now proceed to the shrine where we shall give the thanksgiving offering to the goddess of fertility. My diviner you can now lead the precession. Diviner: We shall follow in this wise: I will be in the front, follow by the brightness of Ede and his queen, and the various visiting kings, and the elders to follow behind them and the wonderful people of Ede kingdom. Music! Questions from Chapter 8 1. Why did the king called for a feast? 2. Who is being referred to as the brightness of Ede? CHAPTER NINE
The Shrine The king and his company walk through the bush-path and stood at the entrance of shrine while the Diviner entered the shrine mysteriously. The items for the sacrifice had already arrived before they got there. These include: seven white he-goat, seven white she-goat, seven pieces of white cloth, seven pieces of cowries, and many other items to appease the gods of the land. The diviner then invoke the gods and they responded and consumed the sacrifices in immediately. It is done. They have accepted the sacrifices my king. May the gods be praised said the king and the people shall say, May the gods be praised! The diviner took a black pot from the shrine and said: the gods instructed me to sprinkle this water round the land and stop where the evil deed was done so shall the water wash the land and the kingdom shall be completely free from all impending evils. So shall the land become blameless and free forever? (He starts moving away gradually towards the way leading to the village while the king and all the people follow behind). Getting to every four pathways he stop and gesticulated speaking some inaudible languages, mumbling some words and sprinkling some of the water from the pot and continue their journey round the village and stop at the spot where he sacrificed Ebi and Ebiba. He stands there as he placed the pot on the spot and dances round it seven times and poured the water on the spot. At that moment the clouds start gathering again. It is done my king. You can all go home it is about to rain. It will not drop till you get to your palace. Don’t be afraid! Look at the cloud it is getting darker and darker said Otulu. Let’s go now the mouth piece of the gods has spoken it. (The king and the others start going away. Just as he gets the palace the rains came down heavily on the land washing every evil away). This is a big sign that the goddess has accepted your sacrifices, said king Judia one of the visiting kings from the nearby territory. Congratulations king Jadia, things will return to normal soon. How I wish to have a diviner like yours said king Jubo of Etifia land. Do not speak so my fellow kings. Well, my is worst, he only hears from leaves that cures fever and malaria. When it comes to matters like this do not bother to call him at all because he will say the gods are yet to come from the journey they embarked on to the nearby village. That’s serious! Yours is even better than mine. Mine is only good at solving stolen goats problems said another. It is okay said king Jadia. Less we begin to blaspheme the gods in so many ways; in any way they choose who they wish and their purpose for doing so is only known to them. They are still wiser than us in all our ways. Their ways are not our ways neither is their thoughts our thoughts. We did not choose them but they chose us. You are right said king Jubo. In fact, they know better than we know. Otulu! Yes, my king. Send for the Antelope pepper soup and the palm-wine from Etifia. Your wish is my command O king. (Exit and later enter with some of the palace maidens and young men carrying a wooden tray containing the pepper soup while the young men serves the palm-wine the maidens serves the pepper soup to every one). To the gods they all drank. This is good but his is better. I can’t forget Tapka, in a hurry. “May his soul find peace with his fathers”. Ise! Questions from Chapter 9 1. “This is good but his is better”. Who is this statement referring to? 2. The above statement implies that this is an important person in Ede land, discuss. 3. What did they go to the shrine to do? 4. What situation led to the rains? 5. What ended the chapter? CHAPTER TEN
Abundance in the land start here It is harvest time in Ede land. The farmers went to their farms and got a big surprise there. All the farmers were blessed with bountiful yields as shouts of joy emanates from every farms as they harvest huge tubers of yams, cassava, coco yams, peppers and various kinds of okro, melon, beans, rice etc. The hunters have a good catch too for most of the animals that seems to have fled to the nearby bushes and villages have since come back when they saw the green vegetation evidence in the land. The hunters are now happy as they now have hope of celebrating the hunter’s festival the coming year. They dance to the chief hunter’s house carrying their games with them. He then led the dance party to the king’s palace joyfully. As the hunters danced through the village the villagers joined in the dance procession and jubilation. I thought, we would die from hunger and starvation but the gods saved us and never allow the innocent to perish with the wicked. That tells you that the gods are just punishing the wicked accordingly by visiting all evils done in secrets openly. Ebi thought his sins was covered by the bushes and the forces of evils not knowing that they are open before the gods of lands. Ebiba thought the same too not knowing that all things are open before the gods. My king said Otulu. The hunters are here to pay homage to you as required by the ethnics guiding us as hunters of Ede kingdom and to do the normal thing which is to present you with our catch. We pray not to witness the sad ordeal again and your store-house shall not lack again but shall always be filled with plenty as long as the animals remain within and outside the province. One after the other they start placing their booties before the king. May our ancestors bless you all! I thank elder Otulu for his prompt reorganization of the hunters from where they were scattered to. I appreciate all of you and your various animal gifts you have presented. This shows that you are hunters indeed and that the goddess of fruitfulness and fertility has showed us mercies and visited us by giving us bountiful harvest within the short period of hunting. May the goddess richly reward your benevolence, said the king. Ise!, said the hunters. On behalf of the hunters of Ede, I use this opportunity to notify his majesty that we are fully prepare to celebrate the hunter’s festival coming up soon, said elder Otulu. Approved shouted the king. You have my full support. All hail king Jadia of Ede. From a far distant we can hear another group dancing to the palace it is the farmers led by elder Otolo carrying various crops which include: fat tubers of yams, plantain tubers, coco yams, green and red pepper of different shape and other sizes of vegetables. The dance party drew nearer and nearer until they danced into the king’s presence. Each one moves straight to placed their harvest before the king. In little way my king said elder Otolo, we the farmers of Ede land have come to appreciate you the custodian of our traditions and the representative of the goddess and her people. Indeed, our bountiful harvest shows that the goddess of fruitfulness and fertility has been gracious to us by giving us these great yields. We have come to present these items to your store-house my king. May the gods continue to bless the works of your hands! My people, I must say thank you for your patience during the plague caused by Ebi and Ebiba which we thought will never end but today we are rejoicing because it has ended and the goddess has showed us fruitfulness by blessing the works of your hands within this short period by giving you good harvest. May the gods bless those who did not think otherwise or contemplate running away but rather chose to suffer and endure the drought? I am too surprised at your show of love. I never expected you to present these items at your first yield after the drought. I am surprised at your benevolence! O king live forever, shouted the people. A message for you as the diviner enters the king’s palace. A message for you shouted the diviner a second time. Looking seriously at the people then gives a sigh of relief. The goddess smiles at your gifts items, he said and the people shouted ‘Hail’ happily. But the goddess warns that if such repeated itself again she shall sacrifice the persons involved she shall also wipe away their entire lineage. Ebi and Ebiba’s story is enough lessons for us. The goddess says your rejoicing should continue but with CAUTION she warns. As he exits CAUTION! Let the rejoicing continue but with caution said the king. Questions from Chapter 10 1. Discuss the situation in the village right now. 2. What is the diviner’s message to the people? 3. Ebi and Ebiba are talked about after their sacrifice, discuss. 4. What was the king final word to the people? THE END BY EGURIASE S. M. OKAKA Tel: +23408026711232

Comments

Efua Sutherland: The Marriage of Anansewa,The Wedlock of the gods By Zulu Sofola, The gods Are Not

Raider of the Treasure Trove By Lade Worsonu

The Song of the Women of My Land By Oumar Farouk Sesay

Efua T. Sutherland: The Marriage of Anansewa