Letter Writing by Eguriase S. M. Okaka

 

LETTER WRITING


BY EGURIASE S. M. OKAKA

 

LETTER WRITING

 

What is a letter?

What you write when you cannot readily meets a person to tell him all that you would (want to) tell him or her is called a letter.

 

HOW TO WRITE A LETTER

Since a letter is one’s message to another, when one cannot readily meet or talk to him or her, one must express oneself clearly, by saying what he or she means. In other words, the tone of one’s letter must reflect clearly one’s intention, especially in the light of the relationship that exists between him or her and the addressee.

 

Basically, there are three types of letters viz: Formal or Official letters, Informer letters, and Semi-formal.

 

Formal or Official Letter

Formal letters are letters that one writes for official purposes. Such letters, among other ones, include letter written for employment or business or protest, et cetera.

 

Language of Informal Letter

The language of formal letter is strictly official. There is no place in it for informal or semi-formal tones. So, such things as nicknames, slang, contraction, should not be found in it.

 

Structure of a Formal Letter

 


 

Let us answer this practical question on how to write a Former letter. Write a letter to the Personnel Manager of Guria Concept & Books, applying for the post of a Secretary.

 

Below is an example of a Former Letter.

 

                                                                                              No. 250 Emovon Street,

                                                                                               Off 3rd East Circular Road,

                                                                                                Benin City,

                                                                                                Edo State.

                                                                                                4th January, 2020.

The Personnel Manager,

Guria Concept & Books Ltd,

Guria Close,

Benin City.

 

Dear Sir,

 

APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF A SECRETARY

I wish to apply for the above vacant position in your esteemed business outfit.

 

I attended Oviewa Primary School Benin City from 1995 - 2001 where I obtained my Primary School Leaving Certificate. I then proceeded to Progress Comprehensive College, also in Benin City where I had my secondary education from 2001 - 2006 and passed with flying colors. I did not stop there, as I proceeded again to University of Benin where I took a course in Business Administration and Secretariat Studies (2007/2008 session), and graduated with a first class degree.

 

Since then, I have become particularly interested in interactive and multimedia work and I wish to develop my skills in that direction. That is why I apply for the above position.

 

I am a young man of 26 years old and I hail from Ugheli South Local Government Area of Delta state.

 

I shall be grateful if am invited for an interview and possibly be considered for the job.

 

I enclosed relevant credentials for your consideration and as an attestation to the Schools attended and certificate obtained.

 

Thanks and God bless you as I wait patiently for a favorable response to my application.

 

Yours faithfully,

 

……………………..

Eguriase S. M. Okaka.

 

 

 Question:

The next political year is around in Nigeria, for the transition to civil administration. Write a letter to the Direction of INEC, advising him on how to make for a stable and smooth transition. Your answer should not be more than four hundred and ninety words.

 

Answer:

 

                                                                                              No. 29, Eriamaitoe Street,

                                                                                               Off 3rd East Circular Road,

                                                                                               Benin City,

                                                                                               Edo State.

                                                                                               26th February, 2019.

The Director,

Nation Electoral Commission,

Abuja, Nigeria.

 

Dear Sir,

 

AN ADVICE ON HOW TO MAKE FOR A SMOOTH AND STABLE TRANSITION

 

Another political year is here before us in Nigeria. Considering the failures of the past INEC directors to achieve smooth and stable transition in the past political years, I wish to, as a responsible citizen of this great nation, advice you on how to for a smooth and stable transition this political year. My advice is simple and effective, ensure that all the citizen of this country that are of age register for the election. Make sure that the elections are conducted in a public and open place. Let qualified people from the three major tribes of the country direct the elections.

 

Concerning registration, each and every citizen of the country; that is of age must register duly for the election and be given a voters card for that purpose. This will make for a democratic process where everyone will by his vote, be precisely responsible for the result of the election. Nobody will have the revolting excuse of counting his responsibility out of the election culture.

 

Then, all the elections, right from the Local Government Area level to the Presidential, should be carried out in open and public places. This will make it possible for everything to be done in the view and gaze of all. Such an election-culture will make every chance and occasion of rigging impossible.

 

But, all in all, qualified people from the three major tribes of Nigeria should be selected both to direct the election and to collate the results. This will have a double barreled effect. It will free the election program from corroding tribalism and every crippling inefficiency.

 

Moreover such election results should be announced progressively and immediately. That is as soon as every level of the election-program has been completed in full view and participation of the people, the result should be given immediately, then, on the final Election Day, all the results will also be given. This will make our people confident that what is happening is “our own thing” and also make the temptation to affect election results (that is, by the directors) impossible.

 

With all these ways of approach to our election programs this political year, our elections will be done by our people and for themselves. Thus, we will have the election that is our election, and the transition to civil rule will be smooth and stable. There will be no cause for a dissension or revolt from any quarter and our military will have no cause again to jump into our politics again.

 

Thank you!

 

Yours sincerely,

 

Mark Sylvester.

 

 

 

INFORMAL LETTER

 

What are informal Letters?

The informal letters are unofficial letters that one writes to parents, friends, relations et cetera. Generally, it is a letter we write to persons we are familiar with.

 

Language of Informal Letter

The language is wholly unofficial. The tone is personal and intimate. Slang, contractions and other informal ways of expression are permitted in informal letters, though thus permission is a matter of degree. For instance, one should not be too informal in the language of his or her older person.

 Structure of Informal Letter



Question:

Your Chemistry teacher has just asked you to buy very important but costly books in his subject, write to your father asking him to buy you the books or to send you money so that you can buy the books.

 

Answer:

 

                                                                                    Progress Comprehensive College,

                                                                                    P. O. Box 77777,

                                                                                    Oredo Local Government Area,

                                                                                    Benin City.

                                                                                    8th January, 2021.

 

My dear Father,

 

Greetings, from Progress Comprehensive College, Benin City. At first, I wish to thank you again for the provision of my school fees. As usual, I paid it at once on arrival. Our principal was very happy about that, and told the rest of the students to emulate my exemplary behavior.

 

Now my dearest father, my main purpose of writing this letter to you is to ask you to buy two books for me. Our Chemistry teacher has just asked us to buy two books in Chemistry, namely: Basic Chemistry by Goodman, and New Certificate Chemistry by Ababio. As he explained to us by his thorough and honest way of approach to matters, these books even though they are very costly books, are books we cannot do without, especially now that we are in the examination class. The prices of these books are N2, 000.00 and N2, 500.00 respectively.

 

I have asked you to buy the books for me because; we have lots and lots of works doing at the school now.  You know this is my final year at school. Further, the books in question can readily be available here in Benin City where you are, than where, one must travel to Aba or Onitsha in order to buy them there. But if you will not have the time to buy them, you can send the money to me, and I will find a way of buying them immediately.

 

How is your business doing over there? How are Mama and my brothers and sisters? Say me well to everyone. Here I am trying my best to be the best; and to pass our final examination with flying colors.

 

Greet mother and others.

 

Yours affectionately,

 

Joseph.

 

 

 

Question:

Write a letter to your pen-friend in America telling him/her how you spent the last Christmas holidays.

 

Answer:

                                                                                                38 St. John’s Street.

                                                                                                Oshodi,

                                                                                                Lagos State.

                                                                                                Nigeria.

                                                                                                West Africa.

                                                                                                25th May, 1995.

Dear Harris,

 

How are you doing, men? I hope you are tit and hard. I thank you very much for your last letter to me. I did not get it in time, because I was away from home for the last Christmas holiday. You asked in your letter that I tell you how I am going to spend the coming Christmas, but your letter got into my eager hands only when I’d spent the holiday you were talking of. But I will still tell you something man! I will tell you how I spent that Christmas holiday. Well, you knew already that is Christmas presumably regarded to be the Birth of Jesus Christ so it is celebrated by majority of people in Nigeria including your friend.

 

I was at Enugu for the Christmas holiday. Enugu is the coal city of Nigeria – a land and state where many things happen. As a happening gay, you would not expect me to miss such a city at a happening time like Christmas. For the one month that the holiday lasted, I did put up with Old Joe (Jakija), whose home is another Jack’s city.

 

Old Joe runs a Guest house. So, as you would guess, every day of the Christmas holiday began and ended for me with the best of foods and drinks. But, these drinks and foods were not the only things. Old Joe has a very big hall in his guest house and as you would expect, many Christmas artists entertained the people, almost on daily basis in this big hall. Indeed, it was an art galore. The musicians were there, the dramatists were there, and all that. In short, man, I enjoyed much.

 

But I did not only feed the body and the mind, I also took out the right times to attend Christians Christmas services and fellowships, lest I will live by bread only. The unforgettable service in this regard was the Christmas midnight mass. Man, it was superb. The homily was on the birth of Jesus Christ, a homily that the later songs sacraments glued to the souls of all.

 

That is my story. I will also be grateful if you can give me your own experience of the Christmas holiday. I know you must have made a great time of it. Next time, let us get each other in time, so as to plan such times together. Take care and God bless.

 

Yours,

 

Mark.

 

 

 

SEMI-FORMAL LETTERS

 

What is Semi-Formal Letter?

They are partly official letters that one writes to his or her teachers, parents and adult persons.

 

LANGUAGE OF SEMI-FORMAL LETTERS

The language is partly informal and partly formal. So, depending on one’s relationship to the person he or she is writing to and it also depends on the degree of intimacy or familiarity, age, etc. you must carefully choose the right tone and expressions that would bear his or her semi-formal meanings out, properly.

 

Structure of a Semi-Formal Letter

Semi-Formal letters have the same structure with the informal letters. Example of a Semi-Formal letter is given below:

 

Question

You took ill during the weekend, and therefore cannot go to school for the next week, on account of admission in a hospital. Write a letter to your teacher explaining yourself. Your letter should not be above one hundred and thirty words.

 

Answer:

                                                                                    Progress Comprehensive College,

                                                                                    P. O. Box 777777

                                                                                    Oredo Local Government Area,

                                                                                    Benin City.

                                                                                    4th February, 1995.

Dear Mrs. Okoro,

 

I am greeting you from the hospital. How are you getting on with the onerous work of taking of our class? You may be wondering why I of all people did not come to school yesterday and today but I tell you the truth I may not even come to school this whole week.

 

During the weekend I fell ill of typhoid fever. Since the symptoms and malaria fever are more or less the same, I went straight away for malaria medicine; little did I know that I was self-medicating. But I was not getting better at all so my father then took me to a Medical facility in our community. There, before everything else the doctor carried out a laboratory analysis of my condition. Typhoid was the result.  He thus admitted me for a week with serious treatment being given.

 

So, I request that you excuse me from class works as a result of my treatment and full recovery. You can also tell the principal of my condition. He is a real father. I know he will sympathize with me.

 

As for the treatment I am receiving, so far so good, I will soon be ready to join the class again. Greet all my fellow classmates for me tell them that I miss them.

 

Yours sincerely,

 

Michael.     

 

 

 

Note that all the letters here are presented in block presentations.

 

THE END

Comments

Efua Sutherland: The Marriage of Anansewa,The Wedlock of the gods By Zulu Sofola, The gods Are Not

Raider of the Treasure Trove By Lade Worsonu

The Song of the Women of My Land By Oumar Farouk Sesay

Efua T. Sutherland: The Marriage of Anansewa