Bowels of Mercy By Eguriase S. M. Okaka ( PART 3 )

 

GURIA CONCEPT & BOOKS

PRESENTS

 BOWELS OF MERCY 


 

 BY

 

EGURIASE S. M. OKAKA

(BOM)

 08026711232

FOR THY MERCY IS GREAT ABOVE THE HEAVEN

 

SCENE 23



(The scene rises as it reveals Andrew’s flat where Pastor Charles is seen sitting with the couple discussing with Andrew and Tina. Andrew is gazing at him thoughtfully without responding to what Pastor is saying, while Tina is looking angrily at him. To her, what he is saying does not really mean anything,  because she believes that she is in her matrimonial home. Tina happens to be a church-goer who goes to church occasionally or when she feels like, to such the word of God may not really mean anything to them).

 

Pastor Charles:   “And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the wayside, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up.

 

And some fell on stony ground, where it had not much earth, and immediately it sprang up because it had no depth of earth:

 

But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away.

 

And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no fruit.

 

And other fell on good ground, and did yield fruit that sprang up and increased; and brought forth, some thirty and some sixty and some a hundred.” (Mark 4:4-8).

 

Brother Andrew, you know this Bible passage very well. (Pause). Heaven is real, more real than when we first believed it. Let me say here that heaven is made for sons and daughters of God, you see, you are a child of God and not a child of the devil.

Tina:                 Bravo! (Begins to clap). If he is a child of God so who am I? Oh I know I am a child of the devil.

Pastor Charles:   I never said so, fair lady. (Andrew is still speechless looking at Pastor). Well……

Tina:                 Andy, these people are pestering you. You never told me that you have so many intruders around you people who cannot mind their own business. (She storms into the bedroom).

Pastor Charles:   My son, do you really know who this lady is? (Andrew rises and moves to the middle stage, still gazing into space speechlessly). She is the daughter of the demon of pride and seduction.  You are entangled by her demonic plots and powers. (Tina enters again).

Tina:                 So, you are still here sermonizing to your member. I am sorry he is mine now and not yours anymore.(She goes to Andrew). Andy, it is high time he left. Walk him out!

Andrew:           Well, Pastor Charles, you have to go now I have no choice.

Pastor Charles:   You will have a choice Brother Andrew. The Almighty God will deliver you from this trap. (He rises).“And unto man he said, behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom and to depart from evil is understanding.” Be wise my son. God bless you.

Tina:                 He said you should go you can leave now I beg you, Pastor Charles.

Pastor Charles:   God bless you, Tina.(He leaves).

Tina:                 Have a nice day, Pastor Charles. Come and have your seat. Forget about these people they are intruders, busybodies people who cannot mind their own business.(Just then a knock comes in and a postman enters carrying a bag containing envelopes).

Postman:         Good day sir, you have a letter. (He hands over the letter to Andrew) Please sign here.(He gives him his logbook to signs before the postman leaves) Thank you, sir. (Tina then takes the letter from him and read out some of its contents)

Tina:                 Dear Mr. Andrew Oghenerohno, we are sorry to inform you that your service with our bank is no longer required, due to negligence of duty. This action takes effect from today……… Damn it! (She flings the letter away angrily).

Andrew:           I saw it coming when I did not resume work for four days after my vacation. I knew that trouble would come.

Tina:                 Dear, don’t worry yourself, the beautiful things are yet to come. Well, this is nothing but the trial of your faith in me.

Andrew:           I know with you at my disposal sorrows are gone, gone forever.

Tina:                 Andy, I’m delighted very glad that you know that. So let’s go inside and relax the nerves and let’s put the world and its troubles behind us. (As they make for the bedroom the light goes out).

 

Lights Out

 

Questions from scene 23

1.    Identify Pastor’s message.

2.    Why did Tina tell Andrew to send Pastor away?

3.    What was the content of the letter?

4.    From the play, what is Tina’s assignment?

5.    Has she accomplished any? Support your claims from the play.

 

 

 

 SCENE 24

(The scene rises as it reveals Peter’s fairly furnished one-bedroom self-contained apartment remaining as before. He is seen praying fervently for Andrew in the middle of the night. The atmosphere is peaceful and calm because most people are fast asleep, except Peter who seizes the opportunity to pray instead of sleeping).

 

Peter:       My brother Andrew, I am distressed for you.

My brother Andrew, very pleasant hast thou to me.

How are the mighty fallen in the midst of battle?

And the weapons of war perished.

 

No! No! No! The weapon that is formed against thee shall not prosper, and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, said the LORD. (His prayers become more tents and he rises and paces around the room, demonstrating his actions).

 

There is now therefore no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. (He groans). My brother Andrew, I command that the chains binding you to every agent of darkness be broken, in Jesus' name, Amen.

 

Every arrow returns to the sender,

Every enchantment be destroyed,

Every divination I terminate,

Let them catch fire and burn to ashes, in Jesus name, Amen.

 

(God answers him instantly by a thunder strike which set some captives free including Andrew).

 

Lights Out

 

Questions from scene 24

1.    Who is Peter praying for and why?

2.    What does Peter’s prayer signify?

 

 

SCENE 25

(The scene rises as it reveals Papa Andrew’s house in the village where he is drinking one of the locally brewed gins from his village, with Papa Tina over Andrew’s gestures. At last, he is very pleased that so far Tina, his daughter, got married to Andrew his friend’s son).

 

Papa Andrew:     Once again, I must thank you for making the marriage between your daughter Tina and my son Andrew possible.

Papa Tina:       You can say that again but I must reserve thanks to you for making this dream a reality and for putting incessant pressures on Andrew. You see, what Andrew brought after the marriage to my house, I was surprised and it still beats me hollow to this very moment.

Papa Andrew:     My in-law, it is said that the goat that died in a barn of yams did not die of hunger.

Papa Tina:       That is true my in-law the sage.

Papa Andrew:     That is why I did what I did, partly to keep our friendship going on and the other can’t be explained, it is only known to the gods.

Papa Tina:       It is very normal to leave what we cannot explain for the gods to handle.

Papa Andrew:     There is palm wine before us. Let’s help ourselves with it and be joyful for the rest of our lives. (As they begin to pour the wine into the calabash the light goes out).

 

Lights Out

 

Questions from scene 25

1.    What visual element in this scene complements their discussion?

2.    Quote a line or more from the scene which shows that papa Tina is fortunate to have given Tina’s hand in marriage to Andrew?

 

 

SCENE 26

(The scene rises as it reveals papa Andrew’s farm in the village. His farm is a big one and well cropped with yams and cassava and other cash crops and food crops. He is one of the greatest and biggest farmers in his village. He is seen weeding around his cassava and singing and dancing to an Urhobo song, to ease the stress of the day’s work on the farm).

 



Papa Andrew:  (Singing).      Hey make una see-e

                                                Foolish e mani e plant mangoro

                                                For main road o

                                                Bifor e  come o

                                                Another man o pluck o

                                                Odio ta me`re

 

                                                Hey wegbe nughe

                                                Ekpa osha`re

                                                Ken mangoro phi jede o

                                                Besiero vbo rhe

                                                Another mani pluck am o

                                                Odio ta me`re o

It is the foolish man who knows what makes him to be foolish, as for me I am not foolish, but wise. That is why people always call me the sage. I am in charge of things to come concerning my life and that of my children. (Mama Andrew enters carrying a bunch of plantain on her head and holding a cutlass in her right hand).


Mama Andrew:    So na here you still dey, wey everytin don scatter an turn upside down for Andrew house? Since wey e marry Tina everytin just dey go zigiri zarara foram. See, dem don sack Andrew bicose de ghe no let am go work for four days after e vacation. According to dem, dem say love dey catch fire. Na so Tina no dey let Andrew go for church again, sotey Andrew just dey look person gbor like person wey devil don sidon for e heart. My husband de bomb wey you set don explode for your pikin house, if you no quick go na ashes you go meet for dere bicose de fire don start to burn well well. Na my own I don tell you so.

Andrew:           It is none of your business that is purely mine. You should let the gods handle the issues that we cannot handle.(He starts weeding again and singing along. Mama Andrew seeing that continues her journey again).

                                    (Sings).         Akpo kire ki

                                                            Eki yam rhere

                                                            Oro tso no ko kpo

 

Lights Out

 

Questions from scene 26

1.    What is Papa Andrew’s occupation?

2.    Identify Mama Andrew’s information.

3.    What is his response?

 

 

 

 

 SCENE 27

(The scene rises as it reveals Andrew’s well-furnished flat remaining as usual. He is seen coming out of the bedroom into his sitting room, taking a seat at the dining table, and sits down. Just then he starts thinking about what Pastor Charles earlier said in the previous day as we hear his lines recapping again).

 

Pastor Charles:   “And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the wayside, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up.

 

And some fell on stony ground, where they had not much earth; immediately it sprang up because it had no depth of earth:

 

But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away.

 

And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no fruit.

 

And other fell on good ground, and did yield fruit that sprang up and increased; and brought forth, some thirty and some sixty and some a hundred.” (Mark 4:4-8).

Brother Andrew, you know this Bible passage very well. (Pause). Heaven is real more real than when we first believed it. Let me say here that heaven is made for sons and daughters of God, you see, you are a child of God and not a child of the devil.

Andrew:        Oh, Pastor Charles I have not seen you for some time now. (Sighs) What is happening to me for God’s sake? Am I entangled or what? I have not been going to church for some time now. I have lost the joy I used to have for soul winning. Aha! (Just then a Demon appears).

 

Demon:         You are not entangled, my good brother. You are doing the right thing. Go on, you are on the right track.

Andrew:        I don’t agree with you. If I am on the right track why am I like this? (He questions and moves to the shelf where he picks a Bible and dusts it) Look at how dusty it is. (He opens to II Timothy 2:4 and reads aloud)“No man that warreth entangles himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier”.

Demon:         Not so Andrew. (Seeing this, the Demon goes in to bring Tina to the sitting room).

Tina:              Andy, stop reading that book, we have so many things to do inside. Let us go in and take some rest. (She subtly takes the Bible away from him caressing him, throwing it on the floor and they move into the inner chamber).

 

Lights Out

 

Questions from scene 27

1.    Is Andrew coming back to his senses?

2.    If Andrew repents this means they have lost the battle. Discuss. 



SCENE 28


 


 

(The scene rises as it reveals Andrew’s well-furnished flat. In the bedroom, Andrew is seen asleep on the chair while Tina is sleeping on the bed comfortably. They were both fast asleep when Andrew falls into a dream. In his dream, he hears a song being sung in the sitting room so he goes to see what was going on there and finds a group of people singing in their festival praising a demonic image before them and to his surprise their Lead-singer was Tina his supposed wife. The song is: “ko ko ko ri ko ko ede mi tsa dikara mi tsa kewhe”. The song goes on repeatedly. Andrew is perplexed when he sees this sighuted, “Jesus save me”! At that moment the Demons disappear. He wakes up suddenly from the dream and looks at Ti still sleeping comfortably. He walks down to the sitting room and sees some shadows moving away).

 

Andrew:     Who is that? (Shouts) O Lord, save  me from this trap. (The good Lord answers)

VOICE:       You have departed from me and you have chosen your own way. “There is a way which seems right unto a man but the end thereof is the ways of death”.

Andrew:     Forgive me Lord I repent from my wicked ways and I’ll turn a new leaf henceforth.

VOICE:       You have sinned against me. You have chosen your own ways. Turn now from your wicked ways and be saved.

Andrew:     “Heal me, O LORD and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise”. (Jeremiah 17:14)

VOICE:       “I am the Almighty God, walk before me and be thou perfect.”(Genesis 17:1b)

Andrew:     I will, Lord. I plead for mercy dear Lord. Wash me clean with the blood of the Lamb. (Burst out singing).

I’ve wandered far away from God

Now I’m coming home

I now repent with bitter tears

Lord I’m coming home…….

Coming home, coming home, nevermore to roam:

By thy grace, I will be thine, Lord, I’m coming home.“Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy loving-kindness: according to unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.

Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightiest be justified when thou speaks, and be clear when thou judgest.

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

Cast me not away from thy presence, and take not thy holy spirit from me.

Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation, and uphold me with thy free spirit.”(Psalm 51:1, 2, 4, 10-12).

(Burst, into tears when the Angels of God appear at the surroundings showing God’s presence).

VOICE:       “The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, I will not despise.” (Psalm 51:17)And the LORD said, I have pardoned according to thy word: But as truly as I live, all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the LORD. (Numbers 14:20, 21). I have forgiven you, my child. You are delivered. “If the son of man shall make you free you shall be free indeed”.

Andrew:     “I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.

The LORD is my strength and song and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him.

The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name”. (Exodus 15:1-3) (Another Sings again)

I am thine O Lord, I have heard thy voice

And it told thy love to me:

But I long to rise in the arms of faith

And be closer drawn to thee.

Draw me near….er, nearer blessed Lord,

To the cross where thou hast died,

Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer, blessed Lord,

To thy previous bleed side.

 

Lights Out

 

Questions from scene 28

1.    What does Andrew’s dream signify?

2.    Who is the Lead-singer in Andrew’s dream?

3.    What does that portend for Andrew?

4.    What do his songs depict in this scene?




 SCENE 29

(The scene rises as it reveals Jahika’s meeting coven where his co-demons were seen watching an event of Andrew’s repentance on a wall screen. The atmosphere is a very sad one for them when Andrew repented, they yelled simultaneously to this great shocker to them).

 

Demons:        Hey! The battle is lost!

Jahika:            (Picks his walkie-talkie and calls hastily).

Attention your majesty!

Attention King Lucy!

The Holy One has won.

Andrew has repented.

Tina has failed her assignment.

The battle is lost!

King Lucy:     Attack Andrew immediately and kill him. Bring Tina, she must pay for this.

Jahika:            Your Excellency!

 

Lights Out

 

Question from scene 29

1.    Hey! The battle is lost! What literally application is used in the above statement?

2.    What message is passed to King Lucy?

3.    What is King Lucy’s response?

 

 

 

 

 

 

SCENE 30

(The scene rises as it reveals Andrew’s bedroom again. Tina wakes up from sleep dejectedly like a defeated foe. She has been defeated by the power of the Lord who saved Andrew from her entanglement. She is not happy but only pretending to see if she can accomplish this last task. Andrew’s eyes are now open and he remains in the sitting room studying his Bible joyfully when Tina approaches him coming from the bedroom spreading her arms wide to embrace him with smiles beaming from her).

 

Tina:          Andy, come to me as usual, embrace me, kiss me and let us flow into the stream of love. (She repeats it again) Andy, come to me as usual, embrace me, kiss me and let us flow into the stream of love and go beyond……..(She bursts out laughing). Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Andrew:    Stay where you are? Do not come near me. Tina, who are you?

Tina:          (Laughs) Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! I am your wife for goodness sake. So you don’t know me by now? Don’t be stupid! Andrew, I will tell you. I am a daughter from the planet below simply put, a daughter of seduction and pride, of Lucifer, of the devil the father of all liars. How about that, well forget about that. Andy, come to me as usual embrace me, kiss me, and let us flow into the stream of love and go beyond……..the great macrocosm beneath.

Andrew:    Not me anymore you liar! I am a child of the Almighty God and I am covered with the blood of the Lamb. No, I won’t follow you to your macrocosm beneath.  (Tina intends to move to him). Do not move further than that. Do not come near me again till I find a way out of this mess. (Jahika and five other Demons appear to help Tina accomplish her task)

Demons:  Okri-kpo-kpo-kpo-kpo-o! Okri-kpo-kpo-kpo-kpo-o!

Jahika:      Liar you liar. We are here to take your liver to our King. We must eat it tonight, you can’t go free. None can save you this time around. Attack him! (They draw their swords and move towards him but they retreat seeing the Angels of God encamped around him). I say attack! (Makes move again and retreat).

Angel:       Touch not my anointed and do my prophets no harm. We come against you in the name of the Lord of the host.(All the Demons disappear including Jahika and Tina inclusive). The battle is over; you are delivered in the name of the Lamb.(Angels disappear).

Andrew:    The Lord, the Lord God is merciful and gracious, long-suffering, abundant in goodness and truth. (He bursts into singing)

Worthy, you are worthy

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

You are worthy

Worthy, you are worthy

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

I worship you.

 

Lights Out

 

Questions from scene 30

1.    Why is Andrew refusing Tina now?

2.    “Who are you”? This shows that Andrew does not know who Tina is. Discuss.

3.    Identify the onomatopoeic sound in this scene.

 

 

 

 

SCENE 31

(The scene rises as it reveals Pastor Charles’ house where members of the church were seen praying for Brother Andrew. Elder Landy is addressing the prayer warriors which include Pastor Charles, Evangelist Ruth, Sister Mercy, Brother Peter and other members of the church. They were all gathered praying fervently for Andrew to come out of the chains binding him to the prevailing forces of darkness and their activities, which bind him to Tina. This is about the last day of their prayers and fasting).

 

Elder Landy: Today is the last day of our fasting and prayers for Brother Andrew’s deliverance from the powers of darkness binding our brother. However, after our prayers, we shall march down to Andrew’s house to fight the final battle and take him out violently, for the kingdom of God is not meat and drink. You see, brethren, since the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffered violence, and the violent take it by force. We shall violently release him from the dungeon of the devil. For I am persuaded that chains cannot hold those bound whom Christ has made free.

Pastor Charles:  Elder Landy, flesh and blood did not reveal that to you but the spirit of God. Let me say here that the Lord has fought for us already. As we were praying this morning “the hand of the LORD was upon me and carried me out in the spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones,

And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and lo, they were very dry.

And he said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O Lord GOD, thou knowest.

Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the LORD.

Thus saith the Lord GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live”: And Evangelist Ruth had the same revelation and began to shout in her dream, Andrew you are free thrice. She saw chains broken and many captives were freed including Andrew.

Peter:               Praise thy Lord!

Members:       Hallelujah! (From afar Andrew’s voice is heard singing).

Elder Landy:  Listen, who am I hearing singing. Is that not Brother Andrew?

Pastor Charles:  Oh! God has answered our prayers. (Andrew enters still singing). God is faithful indeed He has delivered Andrew.

Andrew:          (He knees down and raises his hands towards heaven).

I will, I will, I will God helping me I will O Lord be thine, thy precious blood washed to purchase me. I will be wholly thine………

Pastor Charles:  God has restored Andrew, it is so clear the miracle is so clear. God is merciful and mighty to save. Hallelujah!

Members:       Praise thy Lord!

Andrew:          O Elder Landy I’m sorry for what I said the other time. You see….(He cuts in).

Elder Landy:  I know, my brother we all know that you were not in your right frame of mind. Nevertheless, we thank God for his tender mercies and for restoring you back to his flock.

Evang. Ruth:      When Heaven rejoices over one sinner that repents who are we not to rejoice with you Brother Andrew? You are welcome to our midst we rejoice with you.

Andrew:          Thank you all for your prayers and fasting for my restoration, God has indeed answered our cries and in due time, he will reward your labor of love. God has shown me the bowels of his mercies.

Pastor Charles:  I am happy, today is the happiest day of my life. Let us pray first thereafter the rejoicing shall continue. (As pastor Charles starts praying the light goes out).

                                    ……… Rejoice the Lord is King

                                                Rejoice I say rejoice………..

 

Lights Out

 

Questions from scene 31

1.    What does the above scene depict?

2.    List the importance of this scene to the play?

 

 

SCENE 32


(The scene rises as it reveals the chambers of The Summit of Seven. King Lucy is seen pacing angrily around in the chamber and vibrating to Tina and Jahika and other regional heads of forces of darkness present, they are the members of the “SUMMIT OF SEVEN”. The atmosphere is tense and Tina and Jahika are ashamed of themselves not knowing what might befall them now and the members are also facing the same problem too and trying to avoid his wrath).

 

King Lucy:     Bring Tina here! (He commands as two of his guards bring Tina forward and standing close to her). You have failed in the assignment given to you and you gave ‘them’ the opportunity to spit on me and my powers. Well done for so doing! (He claps twice). You shall now get my reward,(Shouts). Execution!(He laughs). That is my verdict and reward for unfruitful servants like you. (He claps again while two Executioners enter and takes Tina away and shouts calling Jahika). Jahika where is your weapon of pride and seduction?

Jahika:            It is still intact your majesty.

King Lucy:     Go for another for the Son of Man cometh!

Jahika:            I will your majesty.(He disappears and King Lucy gives a wild laugher).

King Lucy:     Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

 

Lights Out

 

Questions from scene 32

1.    Who is King Lucy referring to as ‘them’ in this scene?

2.    What led to King Lucy’s action?

3.    The devil does not have a free gifts for anybody. Discuss.

 

 

EPILOGUE



(The epilogue rises as it reveals Pastor Charles standing close to a busy market place where many people were seen buying and selling diverse wares and some others were merely looking or catching fun of madmen or women picking stuff from the garbage near the market to prepare delicious meals. In this situation, nobody remembers whether Jesus will come again or not, but the scriptures rightly state in the book of Matthew 24:38, 39 …. “For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage until Noah entered the ark. And knew not until the flood came and took them away, so shall also the coming of the son of man be”. Pastor Charles then walks down to a quiet corner to deliver the author’s last words).

 

Pastor Charles:   There are two forces controlling all human activities, that is: the forces of good and the forces of evil, or the force of light and darkness, and man is always at the mercy of either of these forces. Man is the agent or tool for manipulation by them. The force of good is controlled by the spirit of the Almighty God, that is, the spirit that tells you to do right always while  the spirit of evil will always tell you to do evil and making it look normal to you. The forces of evil tend to be more convincing and enticing than the forces of good, because it is controlled by the devil himself who will always strive with men to get them over to do evil at all times.

In the world, today people doing good are very few while those doing evil are very many, the reason is not far-fetched because the devil makes evil very attractive to the eyes, and people need flashy things since the devil knows this he introduces many as evil and it is attracting men and women, young and old to it. Because those doing good are very few they tend to join those doing evil because they are many saying it is the spirit of democracy but that does not work with God.

The devil only knows how to do evil things that is the force that controls most of the world’s activities today e.g. stealing, stubbornness, cultism, and a lot more. If the devil promises anything, he can’t give it. What he can only give that is what he has to give anybody is destruction and death, like he gave to Tina, one of the characters in the play. We’ve seen the roles played by these forces in the play and the positive and negative consequence which results from the various activities.

 In the above story, we have seen these two forces manipulating the activities of the various characters in the play and how they end up, especially that of Andrew and Tina and their activities in the story. What did Andrew get at the end of the play and what Tina gets as her reward for masterminding the evils which pervades the story? She receives death from King Lucy as her wage which is the direct opposite of what he promised her earlier before she embarked on the assignment of seducing Andrew to marry her and subsequently, falling him from the faith and destroy him.

There are many lessons to learn from the story picking from the themes of the play and from the roles played by various characters in the story, showing the communicative and relative nature of drama as the closest genre of literature to man. I strongly believe that you have read the story and learned a good lesson for yourself. May you be blessed by what you’ve read? Amen!

 

Lights Out

                                   

Question from the epilogue

1.    What is an epilogue?

2.    Do a thorough search from scene one to the last scene.

3.    What are the themes expressed in The Bowels of Mercy?

 

 

 

 

T H E   E N D

 

 

BY

 

 

EGURIASE S. M. OKAKA

(BOM)

CALL - 08026711232

 

 

 

 

 

 

 DEFINITION OF LITERATURE




 

Literature is a form of writing that expresses ideals of universal interest. The write-up are always about the beliefs of a people and their way as in their customs and traditions and history.  Though the greater percentage of literary works is based on people yet few writers used animals as their characters, those are referred to as fables.


All literary works are always divided into two groups that are, Fiction and Non-Fiction. Fiction is imaginative writing not based on history or facts while Non-Fiction refers to all writings based on facts rather than mere imaginations. It is an exact writing

.  The interesting thing about these aspects of writing is that they both pass across a message and they are entertaining too.

 

SCOPE OF LITERATURE


Literature covers the history, tradition, customs, norms, myths, and legends of the society.

 

GENRES OF LITERATURE


Prose, Drama, and Poetry; we shall talk about them later.

.

FUNCTIONS OF LITERATURE


There are many functions of literature which include:

·         It develops the language of people

·         It provides information to a people

·         It enables the reader to know more about their society and that of others.

·         It teaches moral lesson

·         It is a forum for educating people

·         It creates awareness in people

·         It assists in projecting the customs and traditions of the people

·         It entertains and acts as a medium of relaxation.

 

Literature is Prose, Drama, and Poetry, these three genres make up literature. When we talk about literature we talk within these scopes:

 

PROSE


Prose is the ordinary non-metrical form of written or spoken language and it is an important genre of literature.

 

CHARACTERISTICS OF PROSE

 

It characteristics consist of:

·         It is made up of chapters and paragraphs

·         It consist of continuous writing

·         It issues are chronologically connected

·         It may consist of dialogue

·         It lacks the regular and irregular rhythmic pattern of poems

·         It consist of character and characterization

·         It is made up of plot, setting, and themes

 

POETRY


Poetry is the sort of writing stimulated by emotion, expressing a deep feeling that cannot be well expressed in ordinary writing. It is also a collection of poems.

 

CHARACTERISTICS OF POETRY  

   

·         It is written in stanzas, verses, and lines

·         It expresses deep feelings

·         It makes use of rhyme schemes

·         It words are sometimes abstract and ambiguous

·         It always use figurative language as a means of expression

 

DRAMA

Drama is a unique literally form because they are designed to be acted out on stage before an audience. It is usually written in acts or scenes. Drama is the closest genre of literature to man. The other two genres of literature which include poetry and prose may approach issues indirectly or from the abstract point of view but drama deals with issues more appropriately.

 Drama is a work of art or a piece of writing in a form of a dialogue to portray actions and it is meant to be staged.

 

CHARACTERISTICS OF DRAMA

 

It characteristics includes:

·         Drama is meant to be acted on stage

·         It makes use of dialogue

·         It division consists of Acts and Scenes

·         It requires audience active participation

·         It makes use of Monologue in form of Aside and Soliloquy

 

TYPES OF DRAMA

 

Drama is divided into:

 

·         TRAGEDY: The tragedy is a form of drama that portrays ugly and unpleasant actions and it normally ends on a sad note. Example: ‘The Story of the Epileptic Man’ by Eguriase S. M. Okaka.

 

·         COMEDY: Comedy is full of life and ends happily. It is divided into:

 

ü  Farce: This is a kind of dramatic comedy with an exaggerated intention mainly to make the audience laugh due to a funny presentation of characters.

 

ü  Burlesque: This is another exaggerated and ridiculous form of comedy with a wide line the demarcation between the subject matter of the play and its styles.

 

ü  Travesty: This is another exaggerated form of comedy that makes a distortion of character and events raised in the drama.

 

·         TRAGIC-COMEDY: This is the combination of both the qualities of tragedy and comedy put together in one form.

 

By:

Eguriase S. M. Okaka

 

 























Comments

Efua Sutherland: The Marriage of Anansewa,The Wedlock of the gods By Zulu Sofola, The gods Are Not

Raider of the Treasure Trove By Lade Worsonu

The Song of the Women of My Land By Oumar Farouk Sesay

Efua T. Sutherland: The Marriage of Anansewa