A DRAMA TITLED APATHY BY EGURIASE S. M. OKAKA


GURIA CONCEPT & BOOKS


PRESENTS



 APATHY

BY


EGURIASE S. M. OKAKA


PREAMBLE 
The story is an enlightenment drama that points out the myopic views held by some people about persons living with disabilities, in my part of the world some are of the opinion that these persons are less human or may be suffering from one repercussion or another. That is erroneous believes because every human being carries a peculiar fate common to him or her as we shall see here.

            The story revolves around the birth of a child a special child as the case may be. But this child was not welcomed by the parents I think we should find out why this had to be and what some people may still be nursing about persons living with a disability.

            The play is made up of three simple Acts.

By
Erase S. M. Okaka
(Author)


CHARACTERS
Doctor Fred
Eye Doctor
Midwife
Nurses
Mr. Oseme
Mrs. Oseme
John the Optimist
Madam Fiko
Madam Kobi


Act 1
(The Act opens to reveal one of the private clinics in the state. In the labor ward Dr. Fred and his Midwife are seen attending to a would-be mother about to put to bed. Mr. Oseme is seen in the reception waiting anxiously for his wife Mrs. Oseme to give birth to their baby. As it is here, the atmosphere looks tense but Dr. Fred is taking absolute control of the situation).

Doctor Fred:                       Take a deep breath Mrs. Oseme and push it out. At the count of one, two, and three, you can push. (He starts counting).
Mrs. Oseme:                       (Exclaims). Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Doctor Fred:                       Good! Madam, try again.
Mrs. Oseme:                       Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Midwife:                              Doctor, the baby is coming out. (Cry of a baby). Welcome my child!
Doctor Fred:                       Cong rates madam, you have a baby boy. Clean the baby up and the mother too. (He watches his hands from the watch hand basin and leaves getting to the reception he meets with Mr. Oseme the baby’s father. Seeing the doctor he rushes to him eagerly).
Mr. Oseme:                         Doctor, how is my wife?
Doctor Fred:                       Your wife is doing very well. Congratulations she had a baby boy a few minutes ago. (He shakes him happily).
Mr. Oseme:                         Wow! I am a father after so many years of waiting. Thank heavens! (Still jubilating).  I much not forget to say thank you, doctor. I’m grateful Doctor Fred.
Doctor Fred:                       The pleasure is mine. (The ward door opens and the Midwife rushes to doctor in panic and whispers into his ears).
Midwife:                              Doctor, please come and see this.
Doctor Fred:                       Excuse me Mr. Oseme. (They both enter the ward again leaving Mr. Oseme in the reception hall wondering).
Mr. Oseme:                         What is wrong again? I pray nothing should happen to my wife and my baby.
Midwife:                              (Carrying the baby). See doctor his eyes are permanently closed. I suspect a case of blindness here.
Doctor Fred:                       Don’t conclude yet without medical proof. Call the Eye-Doctor, let him examine the baby and give us a lasting interpretation to this puzzle.
Mrs. Oseme:                       (Tiredly). My baby…..My baby..... Please take care of my baby.
Midwife:                              Relax madam, your baby is okay.
Mrs. Oseme:                       Thank you, nurse. (She falls back to sleep again as the midwife leaves and then returns with the Eye-Doctor).
Eye-Doctor:                         You sent for me Doctor Fred.
Doctor Fred:                       Yes doctor, please examine the eyes of this baby.
Eye-Doctor:                         (Examines the baby’s eyes). This is exactly like last year’s case we shall carry out a visual test before making any conclusion. Nurse, bring the baby along. Meanwhile, take good care of the mother.
Doctor Fred:                       We shall do our possible best. (They both leave, a minute later Mr. Oseme rushes in with fear).
Mr. Oseme:                         where are they taking my baby to? Doctor, where are they taking my baby to?
Doctor Fred:                       Relax Mr. Oseme. They are taking him to the lab for a visual test.
Mr. Oseme:                         Meaning what? Does that mean that my baby is blind?
Doctor Fred:                       We can’t establish that fact now that is the reason why we are carrying out this test to ascertain the true position of things.
Mr. Oseme:                         I see! I hope my wife is Okay.
Doctor Fred:                       Yes! She is alright. She just needs to rest now, some minutes later you can see her.

Lights Out
                                               

ACT 2
(The Act opens to reveal Madam Fiko and Madam Kobi two female neighbors of the Oseme’s family. Madam Fiko and Kobi happen to be two gossips who carry every stories whether they are true or untrue. Most people in the community are so much in love with such characters because they can get all or first information from them about their community. They are the ones who may give positive or negative rumors to a particular event or person).

Madam Fiko:                       Have you heard?
Madam Kobi:                      Heard what?
Madam Fiko:                       About the Oseme’s blind son.
Madam Kobi:                      That is stained information. I thought you wanted to give me another jest as you have always done. ‘You sabi me na first-hand rumors carrier nain I bi all gossip dey under my table.’
Madam Fiko:                       You na correct mama without you de world go too dull’.
Madam Kobi:                      That’s correct!
Madam Fiko:                       When Doctor Fred just tell dem say na blind pikin na dem born deir belle just sour like seven days okro soup.
Madam Kobi:                      Nawa o! (She signs). Wonders will never cease to happen in this world. You mean say after many years of childlessness and crying to have a child and the one that finally came is a blind one. That is too bad. ‘Abi na deir sin?
Madam Fiko:                       Madam Fiko, no sabi dat one. Just keep your hands crossed and watch what will happen next. (John the Optimist approaches the women still talking about the Oseme’s blind son. John is called the optimist because he is one of the most hopeful characters in the play who always see hope in every situation). Make you see Mr. John the optimist de man wey no dey see anything bad for anything.
John:                                      Hello ladies, what news do we have this time around?
Madam Fiko:                       Mr. John, so you join my enemy’s dey call me aproko, abi? 
Madam Kobi:                      You don turn us to the automatic newscaster, abi?
John:                                      The frog does not run for nothing in the daytime either it is pursuing something or something is pursuing it. If two women stand like this it means they are up to something even gossiping about something or someone like you always do. Who knows you could be talking about me as well.
Madam Fiko:                       Before you start running your big mouth we knew where you will land.
Madam Kobi:                      Something bad don happen.
John:                                      W h a t! (Exclaims).
Madam Fiko:                       Your friend, Mr. Oseme don born blind pikin.
John:                                      Is that the bad news?
Madam Kobi:                      Yes o, oga John.
John:                                      That is myopic! Well, that is no bad news at all.
Madam Fiko:                       Aba John the optimist, so you no see anything bad for dis one again? (Exclaims). Apkala!
Madam Kobi:                      Come make we go joo! I no tell you before say e no go see anything bad for dat one. (They hiss and leave).
John:                                      Don’t go, come back, let me educate you. Oh they are gone with their myopic, barbaric, and ex-communicated thoughts.  Damns devils! Mr. Oseme, I am coming for my drinks I will only take three bottles, I do not drink too much, let us welcome that baby into our world whether blind or not they are the wonderful creatures of our Almighty Father.

Lights Out

ACT 3
(The Act opens to reveal the Oseme’s house where we hear the crying of the
Oseme’s newborn baby taking his bath in their fairly furnished self-contained
apartment. Meanwhile, Mr. Oseme the baby’s father is seen sitting outside the house
thinking on what to do with the baby now. But only John the Optimist, sees the good
 every child brings to their parents if given good education especially persons
living with disability).

Mr. Oseme:                         Nobody in my linage has ever given birth like this before or was there blindness in our family before this time. I am still wondering where this came from. (The baby begins to cry harder than before). Oh my God, this is not fair! After so many years of waiting, you rewarded me with a blind son, why? Where did I go wrong? How can I handle this situation? (John the optimist approaches him gladly).
John:                                      Congratulations! Congratulations!! Congratulations!!!  Mr. Oseme, What you have been looking for, for the past years is now at your beck and call. (Burst into singing a popular song joyously). ‘Wetin dey for Sokoto e dey for your shokoto’. (Oseme is sad looking at him). Congratulations, my good friend! You are now a member of the men’s club, a full-grown man.
Mr. Oseme:                         ‘Man no man me.’ I am not a complete man. I am not happy with this birth. I am a sad man. I will be sad to death.
John:                                      What do you mean by that?
Mr. Oseme:                         So you mean you are the only one who did not hear that I gave birth to a capital blind son who will not behold the face of his parents till he dies or leaves this world.
John:                                      I can now see where the problem is coming from.
Mr. Oseme:                         You better see before you go blind yourself.
John:                                      Aba! We are not quarreling Mr. Oseme. I came here to congratulate you on the birth of your baby boy.
Mr. Oseme:                         And probably mock me stylishly or probably join my enemies to laugh at me or both.
John:                                      Why would I do such to you what gain would I get from doing that? (Oseme becomes sober). Come, my friend, we have to talk about your blind son. You see, your blind son is just a perfect child.
Mr. Oseme:                         You called a blind son a perfect child, what sarcasm! You have just joined my enemies to laugh at me. (Angrily). You have overstayed your welcome you have to go now before you insult me further.
John:                                      I am very sorry Mr. Oseme. It has not come to that, at least, you would have asked me how.
Mr. Oseme:                         Okay o! So how?
John:                                      That is good! There is this blind American singer and music producer called Steven Wonder. He has won so many music awards. In fact, he is an icon in the music industry and a big plus and contributor to the world’s music scene.
Mr. Oseme:                         Please tell me more I am listening. (He listens keenly).
John:                                      Well he was given birth to some years ago like you just did to your son a few days ago. But one good thing is that his parents did not throw him away nor did they cast aspersions on him because he was blind. They encouraged and educated him and gave him their best and that makes him what he is today.
Mr. Oseme:                         But he is a white man that was why he succeeded and became so wealthy and famous. Well I don’t see such things happening here in Nigeria, when those with two eyes are finding things difficult let alone a blind man.
John:                                      That is not too correct Mr. Oseme. Well, have you heard of Kobaz?
Mr. Oseme:                         Yes I think I have heard of him. Is he not that blind keyboardist who did a song advert for one of these networks/communications companies. I think I know him now.
John:                                      Exactly! (Exclaims). He is a blind Nigerian keyboardist and a music producer as well. You see, he is what he is today because his parents gave him their best support, and they did not throw him away with the bathwater or feel indifferent.  He is doing well as well as his American counterpart.
Mr. Oseme:                         Are you saying that my blind son can succeed too?
John:                                      Of course! Yes! If only you could give him a good education and support his dreams and aspirations in life. There are many other persons with disabilities who are excelling in their various fields of endeavor without making noise about it.  Mr. Oseme your son can succeed as well and become a plus to the world. Can you see what I mean?
Mr. Oseme:                         I can now see well than you think. I quite appreciate you, my good neighbor. So that was why you said earlier that my blind son is perfect. I thought you were joining my enemies to mock me.
John:                                      Why would I do that?
Mr. Oseme:                         I know you will not. John, you just saved a very terrible situation. Since that child was born I have been thinking about what to do with him; I just thought of how to go to the evil forest in my village to dump him there so that he would be eaten by those witches and wizards there.
John:                                      Gracious God! (Exclaims). I hope you would not think of such evil thoughts again?
Mr. Oseme:                         Never again will I think such wicked thoughts. Never!
John:                                      Good!
Mr. Oseme:                         Your enlightenments have given me solutions to the problem. You have made me see that my blind son can succeed too. Thank you, my good neighbor. Once again forgive my ignorant (Signs). I must train my son to any heights he wishes to get to in this life.
John:                                      O gracious that is the spirit! I love that a lot. May the Almighty God grant you the grace to do so? (Turns aside). Ladies and gentlemen, rejection of persons with disabilities start from their immediate families before graduating into the larger society. So please as a father or mother or brother or sister; do you have any disabled person or child or siblings at home, don’t discriminate against them. Discrimination can cause grievous psychological damage to anybody.  Try and give them good education so that they can become great in life. According to a wise man he said, ‘Education is the vehicle of our thoughts, that whatever a man becomes in life largely depends on his education.
Mr. Oseme:                         You are very correct! I can now see why people call you the optimist, John the Optimist.
John:                                      That is because I always see hope in anything and everything. (From within comes a loud cry of the Oseme’s baby)
Mr. Oseme:                         What is happening to my baby? (He runs in).
John:                                      Do you see what I mean. Show them, love.

Lights Out


T H E  E N D

BY
EGURIASE S. M. OKAKA
(Author)








    


Comments

Efua Sutherland: The Marriage of Anansewa,The Wedlock of the gods By Zulu Sofola, The gods Are Not

Raider of the Treasure Trove By Lade Worsonu

The Song of the Women of My Land By Oumar Farouk Sesay

The Grieved Lands By Agostiho Netohttps://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=AW-10904630286AW-10904630286/XrxkCJV-r54YE1703c80gtag('config',-'AW-10904630286')conversionidAW-10904630286